Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Semenyo’s Strike Powers Man City to FA Cup Win, Ends Chelsea’s European Hopes
    • Beyond the Finish Line: Accra Streets Feel the Economic Ripple of the Games
    • Gold Belongs to Them: Nigerian Women Sweep Again in Accra
    • Ogba Briefs Press on Bayelsa APC House of Reps Primary Election
    • Twelve Seconds That Cost Me Love
    • 5th Kasali Kudus Ileya Cup Enter Semi Finals Stage
    • From Mud to Momentum: Red Devils Sign Off With a Statement Win
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    Sports Day InternationalSports Day International
    • Home
    • About
      • About Us
      • The Team
      • Advert Rate
    • SportsDay Newspaper
    • E-copy Archives
    • Sports News
    • Football
    • Other Sports
      • Athletics
      • Boxing
      • Wrestling
      • Tennis
      • Basketball
      • Others
    • Women Football
    • Sports Business
    • News
      • News
      • Politics
      • International News
      • National News
    Sports Day InternationalSports Day International
    Home » Russian Cargo Ship Sinks After Exploding In Mediterranean Sea —- Foreign Ministry
    BUSINESS

    Russian Cargo Ship Sinks After Exploding In Mediterranean Sea —- Foreign Ministry

    SPORTSDAY NEWSPAPERSBy SPORTSDAY NEWSPAPERSDecember 25, 2024Updated:December 25, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    BY OSABUOHIEN VIVIAN ROSE

    An explosion in the engine room caused a Russian cargo ship called Ursa Major to sink in the Mediterranean Sea between Spain and Algeria and two of its crew are missing, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

    The vessel, which was built in 2009, was controlled by Oboronlogistika, a company that is part of the Russian Defense Ministry’s military construction operations, which had previously said it was en route to the Russian far eastern port of Vladivostok with two giant port cranes lashed to its deck.

    The Foreign Ministry’s crisis center said in a statement that 14 of the ship’s 16 crew members had been rescued and brought to Spain, but that two crew were still missing. It did not say what had caused the engine room explosion.

    Unverified video footage of the ship heavily listing to its starboard side with its bow much lower down in the water than usual was filmed on Monday by a passing ship and published on Russia’s life.ru news outlet on Tuesday.

    Ursa Major
    Oboronlogistika, the ship’s ultimate owner, said in a statement on 20 December that the ship, which LSEG data showed was previously called Sparta III, had been carrying specialized port cranes due to be installed at the port of Vladivostok as well as parts for new ice-breakers.

    Two giant cranes could be seen strapped to the deck in the unverified video footage.

    LSEG ship tracking data shows the vessel departed from the Russian port of St. Petersburg on 11 December and was last seen sending a signal at 5:04 p.m. ET on Monday between Algeria and Spain.

    On leaving St. Petersburg it had indicated that its next port of call was the Russian port of Vladivostok, not the Syrian port of Tartous which it has called at previously.

    The operator and owner is a company called SK-Yug, part of Oboronlogistika, according to LSEG data. Oboronlogistika and SK-Yug declined to comment on the ship’s sinking.

    Spanish news outlet El Espanol said on its website that crew members had been evacuated to the Spanish port of Cartagena and that several vessels, including a Spanish Navy ship, had taken part in rescuing the crew.

    It said the vessel had been due to arrive in January 22 in Vladivostok.

    Russian Cargo Ship Sinks After Exploding In Mediterranean Sea ---- Foreign Ministry
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
    SPORTSDAY NEWSPAPERS
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Semenyo’s Strike Powers Man City to FA Cup Win, Ends Chelsea’s European Hopes

    May 18, 2026

    Beyond the Finish Line: Accra Streets Feel the Economic Ripple of the Games

    May 18, 2026

    Gold Belongs to Them: Nigerian Women Sweep Again in Accra

    May 18, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Latest Posts

    Semenyo’s Strike Powers Man City to FA Cup Win, Ends Chelsea’s European Hopes

    May 18, 2026

    Beyond the Finish Line: Accra Streets Feel the Economic Ripple of the Games

    May 18, 2026

    Gold Belongs to Them: Nigerian Women Sweep Again in Accra

    May 18, 2026

    Ogba Briefs Press on Bayelsa APC House of Reps Primary Election

    May 17, 2026

    Twelve Seconds That Cost Me Love

    May 17, 2026
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • WhatsApp
    FcTables.com
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • About Us
    • The Team
    • Advert Rate
    • E-copy Archives
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Africa4Peace 5-A-Side: Delta State Allstars Receive LOC Delegation As Tournament Draws Near
    • Nigeria Customs Deepens Global Support, Signs Cooperation Agreement with Belarus
    © 2026 SportsDay International.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version